Android is one of many successful Linux innovations in the market. Built from versatile Linux kernel, Android phones are widely used nowadays and give freedom for its users and developers for creating many excellent applications such as AirDroid. AirDroid is a free application which lets you control and manage your Android devices wirelessly via web browser. Via web browser, huh? Yes, you can use many functions of Android devices from any operating system including Ubuntu. All you need is Android phone and a computer with a web browser in it.
Let's jump into the river! First, install AirDroid to your Android device from Android Market. Once installed, go to the app and set the web (ip) address and port, also the password to connect then press Start to activate the service.
Once service have started, open your web browser and type the web (ip) address you've set on AirDroid application. You need to enter the password to connect.
Done! Once connected, you can do a lot of stuff there such as:
Transfer files between Android devices and computers.
Cut, copy, paste, search, rename or delete files on the SD card.
Read, send, forward or delete SMS messages.
Install, uninstall, backup, search apps and do batch processing.
Preview, delete, import, export, set as wallpaper and photos slide show from desktop.
Share clipboard text between desktop and device.
Group, search, create contacts, check and delete call logs.
Search, preview, import, export, delete and customize ringtones for phone calls, notifications and alarms.
Play, search, import, export, delete, or set as phone call, notification and alarm ringtones.
- File management: transfer files between your computer and Android devices, cut, copy, paste, search, rename and delete files on SD card
- SMS management: send, read, delete SMS messages
- Photos: preview, set as wallpaper, slideshow, import/export
- Share clipboard between desktop and your Android device
- Applications: install, uninstall, backup (downloads .apk files), search
- Contacts management: create contacts, search, check call logs
- Ringtones: import from computer, export, preview, customize ringtones for phone calls, notifications and alarms
- Music: import from computer, export, play, etc.
Download AirDroid: Android Market web link or use: